Every homeowner knows that maintenance is the key to the longevity of various parts of your property. From your roof to your patio, everything needs maintenance. Likewise, your gutters are an integral part of keeping your home in tip-top shape. So what are some of the best gutter maintenance tips for homeowners? We’ve got you covered! Every homeowner knows that maintenance is the key to the longevity of various parts of your property. From your roof to your patio, everything needs maintenance. Likewise, your gutters are an integral part of keeping your home in tip-top shape. So what are some of the best gutter maintenance tips for homeowners? We’ve got you covered!
Keeping an Eye Out
While an intensive inspection isn’t always necessary that often, keeping an eye on your gutters for any leaks or tears could mean the difference between catching a problem early or having to replace an entire gutter system.
You want to be vigilant, especially when it’s raining outside. Even a drizzle will show you any pain points on your gutter system.
Significant signs to look for:
- Foliage Buildup - If there’s an excess of leaves or debris in your gutters, you’ll want to clean that out as soon as possible.
- Holes or Fissures - Even the smallest hole can split into a gaping mess and cause waterfalls during heavier rain seasons.
- Tears & Cracks - How are the joints and closures looking? Is anything cracked or uneven? These are easier to miss than you think!
What You Can Do
A lot of these issues are easily fixed alone, without the need for a professional. However, it is vital to do it as soon as possible to prevent the need for a costly repair or even a total replacement. As folks with copper gutters are well aware, replacing a copper gutter system is expensive!
This one is straightforward, but if you need to get into the downspouts, you might want an extended pipe cleaning tool to help you out. From pulling out leaves and debris to making sure there are no missing pieces, cleaning out your gutters is a simple yet effective way to extend the life of your gutters.
Sealing Problem Areas
While not as simple as cleaning your gutters, using an outdoor-approved sealant or caulking can help patch any fissures or tears. If the cracks and holes are small, you can quickly fill them in and smooth things out so that your gutters might last a bit longer.
If the problem spots are more prominent, however, it’s best to enlist the help of a professional.
Check Your Hooks & Fixtures
It might be challenging to see without the gutters weighed down by debris or heavy rain, but ensuring that your gutter’s hooks are properly established can help prevent tearing or breakage. Check your hooks, joints, and the screws holding it all together. If you see any missing or bent parts, put them back in place right away.
This one requires an initial investment, and you may want to enlist the help of a professional, but gutter guards are an excellent way to keep debris and foliage out of your gutters to begin with.
Consequences of Poorly Maintained Gutters
When you’re diligent enough, the consequences of letting your gutters go shouldn’t plague you by any means. Just in case you want to know how important all this maintenance is, here are a few prime examples of major issues that can arise:
- Stagnating Water - If you have standing water in or below your gutters, this could attract pests like mosquitos who love to lay their larva in dirty standing water. Additionally, stagnant water around your foundation can have problematic effects on the stability of your home.
- Damaged Patios & Driveways - Like your foundation, adequately maintained gutters are there to help protect the structural integrity of your patios, sidewalks, and driveways. A constant rushing deluge of water will erode these over time and cause expensive and unpleasant issues later down the line.
- Flooding - If you have a basement, this one is crucial. Whether or not you have a sump pump in your basement, flooding is still something every homeowner wants to avoid. Preventing excess moisture of any sort in a place where it can grow mold or mildew is a priority.
When You Want Gutter Maintenance You Can Trust
Sometimes it’s a good idea to simply have a professional come out and assess any issues or maintain your gutters for you. The peace of mind from an expert ridding your gutters of any problems is second to none.
So our final gutter maintenance tip for homeowners is this: maybe just call a pro!
When you want gutter maintenance done thoroughly, call us here at Arrow Roofing! We want to make sure the job is done right the first time every time.